Monday, June 7, 2010

Life on the Farm

As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, Robby and I have moved out of our house, and are staying with Robby's parents until we can find ourselves a new place.

What I didn't mention is that they live on a little bit of a farm. Cows, horses, chickens, dogs, cats, and the infamous goat. {Button be her name} Although I am SO appreciative of Robby's parents for letting us stay with them, let's just say living with your in-laws, or probably anyone else period, is a little bit less than fun.

We are living in their basement, however, we don't have our own kitchen and all of that jazz. So, even though Robby's parents try to give us our space, it's not entirely possible. It has been a rough adjustment for me so far. As I've said before, I am a very "routine" person. I have things that I do, everyday, in order. Now....my routine is in total upheaval. I don't have a routine anymore. I don't know what to do with myself. I feel so weird. I know that Robby's parents don't expect us to do everything that they are doing, but at the same time, I feel like I should. Ya know?? Maybe not...I'm not sure how many of you out there have ever lived with someone else before.

Weekdays are especially difficult. I work in the morning till five, and Robby works from about 2 p.m. to midnight or later. So the most interaction we have during the week is, "Morning." *kiss* "See you later", and then if it's not a Monday, I am usually half asleep, so when Robby gets hope I just give him a pat on the chest or bum, and roll back over and fall asleep. {I have a lot of anxiety on Monday nights, so I'm usually awake for the most part when Robby gets home around 3:00 a.m. I know, I know. Shame, shame pregnant lady. You shouldn't stress.} Anyway, that all does have a point, being that I really really feel like I have nothing to do during the weekdays, because I don't even have a husband to interact with.

Living with the In-Laws on the Farm does have a few perks. The garden for one. I love to garden. I just like to be outside period. Especially since we finally have some warm weather. The In-Laws have a nice big garden this year. Mother Sheryl (Robby's mom), has decided that she is going to do a pumpkin patch this year. So last week, we got it all planted and ready to go.

Here is a bit of my handy work:



We had a system. Father Richard spread the manure, Mother Sheryl used her mini tiller to mix in the manure and prepare the soil, and I made the mounds and planted the seeds. I'm proud of my mini volcanoes. Their pretty awesome. We planted these really cool pumpkins that get all these warts on them {don't recall their proper name}, some Jack O' Lanterns, New Moon pumpkins {I don't think that's what they're really called, but it's what I'm calling them}which are completely white, and then some Baby Pams, which are pumpkins used for baking pumpkin pies. Yum. So when fall time comes, and you want some pumpkins, the Davis' can hook you up.

I will keep you updated on our Life on the Farm, and other things as they happen.


1 comment:

  1. I can totally sympathize with you. My husband also has a stupid work schedule. Michael works until 11pm, & when he is on call he sometimes has to stay later. It often feels like we never see each other. I guess you just have to make the best out it until the weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete